Please refer to "Regulations Regarding International Students Undertaking Studies in Taiwan" released by the Ministry of Education (MOE):
- For Article 2 of the above regulation, please also refer to Article 2 of the Nationality Act of the Republic of China (R.O.C., Taiwan).
- Failure to meet the above regulations may result in either cancellation or revocation of admission offer, student status or degree certificate.
- Violators will not receive any academic documents.
- First, verify that you meet the qualification for international degree students.
- Verify whether the department/program you wish to apply for is open to international students. Then, complete and upload the application materials in the online application system to this Office’s website.
- Carefully read the admission guidelines to verify whether the department you wish to apply to has other specific required documents or requirements.
- The required application documents and 2 letters of recommendation must be uploaded to the online application system before the application deadline. Note that after the application is submitted, the system will send the letter of recommendation link to the recommenders.
- After the application is submitted, the system will send a confirmation letter with the subject title "Online Application Submitted". Applicants must confirm that they have received this confirmation letter; applications for which the confirmation letter is not received will not be processed.
- Email email@example.com with any questions during the application period. Late applications and applications with incomplete documents will not be processed.
- Applicants may apply to a maximum of two departments. Those admitted will be assigned according to their preference priority. If the applicant is accepted by more than one department, the University will only issue admission notice for the higher-ranking selection.
All applicants are required to upload the required documents to the online application system. Files may be uploaded in batches and updated before the deadline. Check to ensure that the uploaded information is correct; click the "Confirm and Send" button to complete the application. The University will base the application on the final confirmed files uploaded to the system by the applicant. After the deadline has passed, documents may not be revised or added under any circumstances.
Photos must be uploaded as JPG files; all other documents are to be uploaded as PDF files. Upload the documents one by one, according to the document field. Only one file can be uploaded for each document item. If the item comprises multiple files, combine them into one file for upload. No application document may be added or changed after the application deadline.
Applicants should carefully read the enrollment guidelines (including specific departments’ application requirements) before submitting the application, to avoid failure to meet application requirements, inconsistency with required document format, or incomplete documents. Otherwise, applicants shall assume responsibility for any cancelled application or impact on application review outcome.
Be sure to upload the application materials before the application deadline. Applicants shall assume responsibility for loss of the right to apply if they fail to meet the deadline. open for international admissions.
In the event that the University has any doubts about the uploaded documents submitted for the application, the University may request that applicants submit original copies of the document via postal mail. Regardless of whether the applicants are admitted or not, the documents shall not be returned.
Obtaining an admission permit from the University does not guarantee that you will be granted a visa issued by the overseas offices of the Republic of China. The visa must be issued by the Bureau of Consular Affairs of Taiwan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs or its overseas Taiwan Representative Office.
For list of programs, please refer to:
Opening Programs AY2021-22.
AY2020-21 New programs open for international admissions:
- Application for Master’s Program of Dept. of Photonics, please select EECS Int’l Graduate Program.
For graduation requirement and curriculum of each program, please refer to:
Graduate Students (Master/Doctor).
For list of courses offered at each department/institute, please refer to:
- Application for graduate program in Electronics Engineering / Electrical and Control / Communications and Electrical / Master's program of Dept. of Photonics / Inst. of Biomedical Engineering is now processed under the EECS Int'l Graduate Program Office.
To apply for graduate program in these fields, please select from the online admission application program:
- College: College of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Dept./Inst.: EECS Int'l Graduate Program.
- Only EECS Int'l Graduate Program will be written on the graduation diploma.
- If any problem arises while using this application system, please press "PrtScn" or "PrtScr" key on your keyboard and paste the image to your email message or a Word file. Email your questions and images to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not sure how the "PrtScn" key works, please look up "Print Screen" in your search engine for tutorials.
Admission application form
Complete the form in the online application system.
The study plan can be written in English or Chinese. Basic content shall include motivation of application, education/ research Background, and prospective study at NCTU.
Official degree certificate*
Graduating students must submit a provisional graduation diploma/certificate issued by their school. Those who submit a provisional graduation diploma/certificate must obtain a diploma from their school stating the date when the official diploma can be obtained. The official diploma must be obtained before courses begin for the semester of application.
Full official transcripts (including description of grading, GPA and class ranking)*
If you have attended more than one institution, separate official transcripts should be submitted by each institution.
(1) Required degree certificate and transcript
Applications for undergraduate programs: High school (or above) diploma and transcripts;
Applications for master's programs: Photocopy of undergraduate (or above) diploma and transcripts;
Applications for doctoral programs: Photocopy of master's (or above) diploma and transcripts;
(2) If the school is unable to issue a Chinese or English version of the diploma and transcripts, attach an additional Chinese or English translation. The translation must be a notarized copy translated by a translation agency registered in that country.
(3) Applicants who are accepted must have their diploma, transcripts, and their respective translations notarized by the Taiwan Embassy or Taiwan Representative Office in the country in which the applicant's school is located. If the country does not have a Taiwan Embassy or Taiwan Representative Office, contact the Taiwan Embassy or Taiwan Representative Office of a neighboring country. Please refer to the website for the notarization offices.
Two letters of recommendation
Recommendation letters must be provided by at least two different recommenders. Generally, letters of recommendation are written by teachers, advisors, or employers. Refer to the template provided by this Office, or have the recommenders complete the letter of recommendation through the online application system.
Proof of nationality
(1) Passport (photo page only).
(2) For those without a passport, provide other proof of nationality documents that contain the applicant's photo and full English name.
(3) Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) (if any).
- Proof of financial statement
(not required when applying, but required when registering at the University). Admitted students are required to submit any one of the following proofs of financial statements during the registration at the University:
(1) Proof of scholarship issuance (the proof of scholarship issuance must be issued by the Taiwan government or other governments, and excludes proof of National Chiao Tung University scholarships).(2) An official bank statement: For those who are not scholarship students, attach proof of bank deposit for a balance of US$6,000 (NT$200,000) or more issued no more than three months prior to enrollment. If the proof of deposit is for an account not in the student’s name, obtain a signed letter of promise from the sponsor. The letter must state the relationship between the two parties and the commitment to bear all the student’s expenses while studying in Taiwan. A template of the declaration is downloadable.
Proof of English proficiency
(1)TOEFL PBT 500 points / CBT 173 points / IBT 73 points or above, or IELTS (Academic) 5.5 points or above. For special department requirements, the standard announced in the department brochure shall prevail.
(2)If courses in the previous school were fully taught in English, the school, department or instructor may issue official certification stating that the courses taken were all in English or were fully taught in English.
(3)Applicants whose nationality is from an English-speaking country or whose previous degree was obtained from an English-speaking country are not required to submit proof of English proficiency, and are only required to upload their passport or diploma. List of English-speaking countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, New Zealand, and Australia.
Proof of Chinese proficiency
Most undergraduate courses are taught in Chinese. It is recommended that applicants have intermediate listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. In addition, some departments require applicants to submit documents proving Chinese proficiency. It is recommended that international students who are not studying in English programs submit the Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL) or other Chinese proficiency certifications. Proof of Chinese proficiency is required for students from Indonesia applying for undergraduate programs in the University, and when required by the department(s) they are applying to. Refer to Steering Committee for the Test Of Proficiency-Huayu (SC-TOP)for comparison of TOCFL and Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) levels.
- Permit Certificate of Nationality Loss (if applicable)
Applicants who were previously nationals of the Republic of China must provide a Permit Certificate for Nationality Loss. The loss of nationality permitted by the Ministry of the Interior must have occurred at least 8 years ago.
- Other documents required by departments
(1) Refer to the specific department’s admissions guidelines for the current year and website.(2) Doctoral programs applicants must upload the full text of their master's thesis. Graduating master's program students applying for doctoral programs must upload an outline of their master's thesis. If the master's thesis is not written in Chinese or English, upload the full text of the master's thesis and provide an English abstract. (3)Documents such as GMAT/GRE scores or proof of work experience may be required by a specific department/institute. Please refer to the websites of the respective departments.
*Reminder: For application to the College of Management, a valid GMAT result is required. (Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT))
|Intake||Fall Semester||Spring Semester|
|Application Period||December 20 - March 5||August 10 – September 30|
- Spring Intake is for graduate programs only.
Courses run for 18 weeks in each semester:
Fall (August - January) and Spring (February - July). Please refer to NCTU Calendar.
- Late and incomplete application will not be considered.