- International students: Please check the regulations below for the qualification.
- Dual degree students:
The application procedures for dual degrees are the same as international students. However, dual degree application is only open for the applicants from the universities which have the dual degree agreement with NCTU. All applicants for dual degree need to be nominated by the home universities before starting the applications.
Please refer to "Regulations Regarding International Students Undertaking Studies in Taiwan" released by the Ministry of Education (MOE):
- For Article 2 of the above regulation, please also refer to Article 2 of the Nationality Act of the Republic of China (R.O.C., Taiwan).
- Failure to meet the above regulations may result in either cancelation or revocation of admission offer, student status or degree certificate.
- Violators will not receive any academic documents.
- Make sure you are qualified to apply as an international student.
- Check whether the department/institute for which you intend to apply accept international students.
- Fill out the application form online, upload and submit all required documents.
- Check whether you need to submit additional documents for the department/institute to which you intend to apply.
- Prepare all required documents accordingly and confirm all required signatures.
- Upload to our online application system by the specified deadline. Late submission and incomplete application will not be processed.
- Online application procedures:
- At least two recommenders information should be provided.
- The recommenders are strongly advised to fill out recommendation letters online.
- If, however, the recommendation letter is provided in paper format, please send the sealed and signed letters to our office directly and make sure it arrives our office by the application deadline.
Our address for sending hardcopy recommendation letters:
Division of International Admissions
Office of International Affairs,
National Chiao Tung University,
1001 University Road,
Hsinchu, 30010 Taiwan
- If you are applying for more than one program, you should list the programs according to your preference and priority; if you are accepted to more than one program, we will only issue the admission offer from the program of your highest preference.
- Sending original document is necessary if there is any doubts of uploaded files. However, no application documents will be returned, whether the applicant is admitted or not.
- It is the applicants’ responsibility should the admission result be affected by not submitting the required documents as specified.
- Admission to NCTU does not guarantee the issuance of a VISA for Taiwan, Republic of China (ROC).
- For Fall Intake, applicants may only choose one batch; duplicated applicants may be disqualified from application.
For list of programs open for international admissions, please refer to:
Opening Programs AY2019-20.
AY2019-20 New programs open for international admissions:
- College of Photonics: International Ph.D. Program of Green Energy.
- College of Photonics Doctoral Program.
- Application for Master’s Program of Dept. of Photonics, please select EECS Int’l Graduate Program.
- Application for Doctoral Program of Dept. of Dept. of Photonics, please select International Ph.D. Program in Photonics (University System of Taiwan).
For graduation requirement and curriculum of each program, please refer to:
Graduate Students (Master/Doctoral).
For list of courses offered at each department/institute, please refer to:
- Application for graduate program in Electronics Engineering / Electrical and Control / Communications and Electrical / Master's program of Dept. of Photonics / Inst. of Biomedical Engineering is now processed under the EECS Int'l Graduate Program Office.
To apply for graduate program in these fields, please select from the online admission application program:
- College: International Programs
- Dept./Inst.: EECS Int'l Graduate Program.
- Only EECS Int'l Graduate Program will be written on the graduation diploma.
Admission brochure and guidelines：
- 2019-20 Brochure for International Admissions
- 2019-20 Admission Guidelines for International Degree Students
- 2018 List of Professors for degree-seeking students
- After filling out the application information, submit the data and you will be able to print out the application form from there.
- Complete all required signatures and upload other required documents accordingly.
- If any problem arises while using this application system, please press "PrtScn" or "PrtScr" key on your keyboard and paste the image to your email message or a Word file. Email your questions and images to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not sure how the "PrtScn" key works, please look up "Print Screen" in your search engine for tutorials.
Fill out the online application form, print and sign it.
The study plan can be written in English or Chinese. Basic content shall include motivation of application, education/ research Background, and prospective study at NCTU.
Official degree certificate*
Graduating student should submit a certificate issued by the school/university for the forth-coming graduation.
Full official transcript*
If you have attended more than one institution, separate official transcripts should be submitted by each institution.
(1) Required degree certificate and transcript
Bachelor’s degree applicants: High school (or above) degree certificate and transcript
Master’s degree applicants: Bachelor’s (or above) degree certificate and transcript
Ph.D. applicants: Master’s (or above) degree certificate and transcript
(2) The official degree certificate and transcript must be translated into either English or Chinese when the original one is not issued in either language.
(3) Once the applicant is offered admission, all official academic documents and their translations should be notarized by the R.O.C. (Taiwan) Embassy or R.O.C. (Taiwan) Representative Office in or near the country where the documents are issued.
Please refer to the following website for the notarization offices.
Two letters of recommendation
The letters of recommendation must be written by the applicant’s teachers/advisors/employers (who are able to evaluate your academic performance and research potential) in either English or Chinese. If recommenders select online mode and submit letter through online system, then no hard-copy is required. Alternatively, recommenders can choose to send the recommendation letter by post and submit in sealed and signed envelopes by post to our office. Recommendation letter template
Proof of nationality
(2) If the applicant does not have the passport, the national ID or related identity certificate should be submitted.
Confidential financial statement
(No need to submit at the time of application; however, the admitted students should submit the financial statement on the registration day)
The applicant must show documented evidence that sufficient funds to cover all tuition, fees and living expenses are available for the first year of their studies at NCTU, by one of the following means:
(1) A photocopy of scholarship award notification, or
(2) An official bank statement is required and should be issued in English/Chinese (dated within the last 3 months) in the amount of USD 6,000 (NTD 200,000) or more. In the case the bank statement is not issued in the name of the applicant, a signed declaration must be provided from the sponsor. In the declaration it should clearly state the sponsor’s relationship with the applicant and commitment to cover the applicant’s all expenses in Taiwan.
(3) A template of the declaration is downloadable.
Proof of English proficiency
One photocopy of the test score is required. The minimum requirements (or equivalent) are TOEFL PBT 500 / CBT 173 / iBT 73 or IELTS 5.5 unless specified otherwise by some departments/institutes.
Not required for applicants from or whose previous degree is from English-speaking countries: United States of America, Canada, United Kingdom, New Zealand, and Australia.
Proof of Chinese proficiency
This document is required for undergraduate programs; for graduate program, it is subject to each institute’s admission regulation. Chinese proficiency may be evaluated by letters written by Chinese instructors, certificates, or photocopy of test score. TOCFL (Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language) test result is preferred. Steering Committee for the Test Of Proficiency-Huayu (SC-TOP).
Proof of work experiences (if applicable)
It is required for application to the GMBA program.
Proof of renouncement of nationality of the Republic of China (if applicable)
The document should be issued by the Ministry of Interior for more than 8 years to the registration date of intended term of entry.
Other documents *
Documents such as GMAT/GRE scores or proof of work experience may be required by specific department/institute. For specific requirements, please visit the website of individual department/institute.
For application to the College of Management, a valid GMAT result is required. (Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT))
|Intake||Fall Semester||Spring Semester|
|Times||Early Action||Regular Action||Only one period|
|Application Period||October 20 - December 15||January 10 - March 10||August 10 – September 30|
- Spring Intake is for graduate programs only.
Courses run for 18 weeks in each semester:
Fall (August - January) and Spring (February - July). Please refer to NCTU Calendar.
- Late and incomplete application will not be considered.