- How do I apply for NCTU? What is the complete application procedure? Please follow the instructions detailed on our website: Link
- I am in the process of finishing my last semester and therefore have not yet received my diploma, can I still apply? Yes, you can. If you are in the process of completing your last semester before graduation, please submit a certificate/statement which testify your forthcoming graduation and the expected date of having the official graduation certificate, then upload to our online application system.
- Can I send my application through email or fax? No, all application documents need to be uploaded to NCTU online application system.
- What program does NCTU offer? We offer over 100 regular degree programs and several all-English degree programs. For the list of programs, please refer to: Link.
- Can I apply for more than one program? Each applicant may apply for up to 2 programs and prioritize the chosen programs in the order of preference.
- Does NCTU charge application fees for submitting application? No.
- Should I be fluent in Chinese to apply? Except the all-English programs, most of the courses offered at NCTU are in Chinese with most of the textbooks in English. Therefore, it is strongly recommended for the applicants to have sufficient Chinese and English language skills for better academic performance.
International Students Scholarships:
- What are the scholarships available for international students? Various scholarships from the government and university are available for application for international students. Please visit the following webpage for a comprehensive list: https://oia.nctu.edu.tw/en/ > Degree-Seeking Students > Scholarships
- How do I apply for NCTU International Students Scholarship? Apply along with the admission application. When filling out the online admission application form, mark “Apply for NCTU Scholarship” in the scholarship section for your application to be considered. Submit the admission application form together with other required documents for admission and upload to NCTU online application system.
- I’ve been awarded Taiwan Scholarship. Can I use the Taiwan Scholarship Certificate as my financial support document for NCTU? Yes, you can use the Taiwan Scholarship Certificate as your financial statement for NCTU admission.
- When can I receive the monthly stipend? In principle, we will deposit the monthly stipend on 10th or 15th of every month. However, Office of International Affairs is not mainly in charge of the remittance, the exact dates for money remittance may effected since there are other divisions involved. OIA can only provide proximate expect date. If stipend did not deposit on aforesaid date or OIA announced date, please wait patiently for it. Thank you ahead for your kind understanding. Also, there are occasions that stipend will remittance later than aforesaid date : • Newly admitted students’ first two months stipend • Every December/January stipend due to change of fiscal year • Every beginning of the semester • Other irresistible factors
- How long will it take to process the stipend into my account? Normally, it will take about a total of 2-3 weeks for the OIA, Accounting Office, Cashier Division and Post Office to process the stipend into your account.
- I am a newly admitted student, when can I receive the stipend into my account for the first two months? It usually takes about 6-8 weeks for newly admitted students to receive the first time stipend deposit into your Post Office account. Here are the steps:(1) Pay tuition bill (registration bill)(2) Apply for Alien Resident Certificate (ARC): takes 10 working days to issue(3) Open a Post Office banking account(4) Submit your tuition bill receipt, ARC and P.O. account number to the OIA.(5) OIA and other administrative offices process stipend and will take a total of 2-3 weeks to deposit into your P.O. accountPlease note that the stipend can only be processed into Post Office account.
- How do I know when I need to renew for my scholarship? We will send a scholarship renewal announcement by email to all students and also post it on our website. You will have to submit all the required documents to OIA before the deadline. Please note that late application is not considered.
- What does “tuition waiver” award mean? Tuition waiver award covers your basic tuition and credit fee. However, you still need to pay for other incidental fees, such as dormitory, insurance and campus facilities. Please note that the tuition waiver only covers Fall and/or Spring semester and will not cover summer semester.
- I am a new student awarded only tuition waiver, how can I apply for monthly stipend? You will be able to renew your scholarship award after your current award period. Please follow the requirement of the scholarship regulation to keep your eligibility for scholarship application.
- What are the requirements of the grades to apply for the NCTU scholarship? Please refer to the scholarship regulation: https://oia.nctu.edu.tw/en/ > Degree-seeking Students > Scholarships. Please note that meeting the grade requirement does not guarantee award status as the award allocation is subject to committee review and annual budget condition.
- Should I take Chinese language courses if I receive the NCTU scholarship? NCTU Scholarship recipients shall enroll in least four Chinese language courses during the first three years when receiving scholarship for bachelor and PhD students, in at least two Chinese language courses during the first two years when receiving scholarship for master students. Scholarship recipients can take Chinese Language placement test held by NCTU Chinese Language Center and use the passing certificate to waive Chinese language requirement for scholarship. TOCFL certificate will also be considered (Level 2 or higher). However, please note that some department/institute may also require Chinese language courses as graduation requirement. Please consult your department/institute for course waiving criteria.
- As a NCTU Scholarship recipient, may I apply for other scholarship? Students who receive NCTU scholarship can also apply for other non-government funded scholarship. However, some scholarship provider may have additional requirement towards award recipient’s current stipend status. We suggest that students confirm with the scholarship provider in advance.
- If I have to extend my studies for one semester or longer, can I apply for the scholarship? The maximum award period of NCTU International Student Scholarship for Bachelor/Master/PhD student is 4/2/4 years. If students need to extend their studies beyond the maximum award period, they will not be able to apply for stipend and/or tuition waiver during the extended period. They can apply for paying tuition fees/credit fees at the same rate as local NCTU students*. Applicants should submit application form, thesis report and a recommendation letter/statement from your advisor to explain the reason why you have to extend your studies. Applications will be reviewed by the International Students Admissions Committee. *Students who entered NCTU before 2011 Fall semester are charged tuition fees at the same rate as local students and do not need to submit additional application.
- Why is my stipend not processed? The stipend will not be processed under the following conditions:(1) A recipient has departed or withdrawn from the University for over a month without any notifications and no pre-approved written statements or documents from either his/her academic advisor, members of International Students Admissions Committee has been submitted by the awardee.(2) A recipient has unaccepted manner or conduct and violated the University regulations on and off the campus and deemed unqualified for scholarship by the committee.(3) The scholarships to the recipients who are on an internship program abroad for over three months period, or on an exchange student program overseas or who have gone for a dual degree will be suspended but not the tuition waiver.(4) Scholarships will not be paid when award recipients leave the university upon graduation, suspend study or dropouts for any reason. The scholarship recourse will not be activated after the 15th day of the month.For details, please check NCTU scholarships regulations:https://oia.nctu.edu.tw/en/ > Degree-seeking Students > Scholarships